The benefits of becoming better organized are obvious: more time, less chaos, and an overall more simplified life. Like most self improvement desires, the benefits are obvious and the path unclear. Here are some home organizing ideas for some problematic areas to help navigate this path.
Having an organized closet saves time when choosing an outfit, but it also reduces wear and tear on clothing.
- Purge your closet of clothing and items that are no longer being used. If you haven't used the item in a year, this is a definite candidate to donate or throw in the trash.
- Choose a hanger based on your specific need: thin hangers to save space or thick shape-conforming hangers to prevent creases.
- Categorize similar items together: separate blouses, slacks, dresses, skirts, t-shirts, and so on.
- For items that are scattered, causing clutter, or difficult to access, look for closet organizers to simplify things. Closet organizers like shoe organizers, over-the-door racks, and even hanging purse organizers can make a huge difference.
- Rotate clothing by season. Use garment bags and vacuum space saving bags to store out of season clothes. This will save space and save on the wear-and-tear of clothing.
Bathroom Storage Ideas
Make the morning easier, save time, and create a more relaxing atmosphere by organizing your bathroom.
- Again, purge. Look in your drawers and cabinets to throw anything away that you haven't used in six months.
- Create more space by using over-the-door organizers, behind the door hooks, suction baskets, shelving, and vanity organizers
- Keep drawers organized with drawer dividers and organizers.
- Contain similar items in baskets and totes that can be brought out of a cabinet and used when needed.
Garage Storage and Organization
Determine the purpose of your garage and then use it for that purpose. If you want to use your garage to park your car, for storage, or as a work area or play area, you'll need to organize your garage to meet those needs.
- Again, purge. (There's a pattern here)
- If you need floor space to park a car or for a home gym, then get everything off the floor as efficiently as possible. Use wall organizers, overhead storage, and shelving.
- If you plan on using your garage for storage, then sort items into categories first, and then purchase sturdy, properly sized containers.
- Keep like items together and the most frequently used items easiest to access.
Organize the Kitchen
Keeping the kitchen organized saves time while preparing meals and allows the area to be more comfortable for guests and family.
- Keep rarely used items off the counter and stored somewhere else. For example, if the toaster or rice cooker is used once a month, then keep this in a cabinet or on a pantry shelf.
- Purge duplicate utensils, plastic containers, and dishes.
- Get pan and lid organizes to store these items upright in your kitchen cabinets to save space
- Pull-out drawers can make a huge difference in cabinets. They allow access to items in the back of cabinets and can save your back over the long term. If this is within your budget, this is a must have.
- Store items where they are used most often. For example, keep dishes and utensils near the dishwasher for quick clean-up.